This once used to be a long text, but texts are boring. So, instead: Factsheet. Things I do:
- Building an Interoperable Web, for Humans and Machines alike.
- Discovering Privacy-first solutions for sharing things online.
- Working on federated systems without sacrificing policies and moderation.
Ordered by level of knowledge and the amount of time I spend yelling at each.
- Ruby. Sometimes even on Rails!
- Rust. Oxidation is happening slowly, but it’s unstoppable.
- C/C++, mainly for debugging things. And the occasional GameDev trip.
Abbreviated career history
Currently: Web Superglue Engineer at Mozilla.
- Earliest recorded contribution in 2011, now full-time staff.
- Working on keeping browsers and specs compatible with each other and putting out fires when they are not.
- Contracting work for building software used for automating things in the aviation industry.
- Freelancing web development work.
- Ruby on Rails most of the time, but there were occasional exceptions like PHP.
- Full-time at a Web Development Agency.
- Planning and building websites and web applications.
- Finding the intersection between what customers say they want and what they actually want.
diaspora*, a federated social network built on Ruby on Rails and lots of JS.
- Trying to keep the project running by doing some project management and running the project infrastructure.
- Occasional coding and review tasks.
Hooktor, a small webhook reactor built with NodeJS and pkg to build standalone binaries.
- Built-in support for GitHub, GitLab, and Travis CI hooks, but can be extended easily.
There are more things I could mention, and I’m bad at keeping this updated, so it’s probably a good idea to check my GitHub profile.
Other things I do
- When I’m outside, I like to take photos.
- Occasionally, I like to dabble a bit in game development in Unreal, using Blender, Substance, and Houdini.
Who needs free time anyway, right?
Want to talk?
Uh, oh, okay! Amazing, do it! I promise I will read your message and reply if you want a reply!
Please note that I am not available for hire, so please do not reach out with job offers.
- email@example.com (PGP) for general stuff
- firstname.lastname@example.org (PGP) for anything related to my work at Mozilla
I am bad at eMail, so replies may be delayed. Sorry about that!
- email@example.com on diaspora* (mention me!)
- @denschub on Twitter (DMs are open!)
- denschub on GitHub
- denschub on LinkedIn
- @denschub:schub.social via Matrix
- firstname.lastname@example.org via XMPP (occasionally inactive)
- denschub on Telegram
- I’d love to share my Signal contact details, but that would require me to share my phone number. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If I do not reply, please use asynchronous messaging.
- Ko-Fi for those few folks who want to support my work on open source projects, and running them.
Other “denschub”s on the internet might be me, but there’s a couple of fake ones out there, so beware.